Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sticky Notes on my Computer

So, I like writing things down in little places and keeping them where I can find them when I need to use them. Quotes, ideas, little things that I want to be able to see.

I have a lot of places I keep these things. I have my bulletin board in my room, which is where you'll find the actual paper scraps I have. Those are normally lists and scraps of papers filled with snippets of writing scenes from things that I may or may not eventually get to writing.

I have a whole file in my Dropbox that's just filled with quotes and inspirational ideas.

I also have little things on my iPhone and iPad just written in the little Notes app that it comes with.

But perhaps the biggest and most accessible place I keep these things is in little sticky notes on the dashboard on my computer. And there's quite a bit. It's almost slightly ridiculous.


Don't fear about not being able to read them. There's actually 18 of them (I just counted) and I'll put them on here. 

There are a variety of things on here, varying from inspirational to helpful to funny to political to things.  Most I put up to remind me about things as I write. Probably mostly all of them. Writing is a human experience, and these quotes encompass some of what I feel is important about being human. So here goes: 

~

"Complete freedom without appropriate restraint makes us a slave to our appetites." -Elder Glenn L. Pace

I want to love people the way Christ loves me. I want that pure love, I want people to feel that I feel that for them. -Me

When our emotions are highest, disagreements turn into argument. #writetip

"America is like a boy band... yes, that's the premise we're starting on." -Jon Stewart

"The ultimate source of empowerment and acceptance is our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ."

If the 2nd Amendment says we're allowed to own guns, the 1st says we're allowed to talk about them. 

"A story has no beginning or end; arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead." 

"Don't tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass." -Anton Chekov

The things you do matter to people. 

"The interesting thing about taxes is that taxes are supposed to be voluntary. Tribute is forced. Tribute is someone holding a sword to your throat and saying, 'give it'." -James Tueller

Romance is bonding. 

"It's time to bask in our greatness. And by greatness I mean morally dubious dominance over people who would have been just fine without us." -John Green

"Consistency is the defense of a small mind." -Silk

"One gets over the loss of a wallet, or a watch. But a loved one... they never leave you. You don't get over, you can only get through." -Ziva David

Keeper of Secrets and Teller of Lies (vague plot and title idea)

"Be not afraid, only believe." 

"Of all the crimes we deal with, everyday, the ones most heinous involve children. They enrage our sensibilities." -Ducky Mallard

You shouldn't torture people because it's wrong, no matter your view of its efficacy. Consequentialism is a false approach to ethics. 

~

There you have it. Little pieces of me, little thoughts, all meaningful in one way or another. You get to see a little slice of me in there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment