Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

I've seen that picture before.

Just earlier, I was walking to Foodland to pick up a loaf of bread for dinner. On the way there, I was walking down the street, and standing in the curve of the road right behind Foodland were two boys.

They were standing on opposite sides of the road, bodies turned different directions, but they were facing each other and talking.

I'd seen that before. Although I'm usually one of the two standing there, needing to leave and do things, but unable to because that's my friend I'm talking to right here and I can't just leave.

It's an almost painful sight.

You see the true strength and pull that friendship has on people. It's a situation that says "I really need to go and attend to other matters of my life, and I know you do too, but I don't want to leave you."

It's the friendship version of "I love you."

Then I was coming back from Foodland, a loaf of bread into my hand, when I ran into one of my friends, who had her family with her. They had come to see her graduate. So I got to meet them, and it was quite lovely, and her mom said to me, "Thank you for being her friend."

It wasn't until later that that line really hit me. I mean, of course I was her friend. I had been introduced to her with the express hope of our mutual friends that we would become friends, and we did.

Over the course of the semester, our friendship did grow into something more than just "oh we happen to have vaguely similar tastes I like you" to something more, as friendships often do. Yeah, we had our disagreements over little things. But we were still friends.

It took a mother's view to see how much our friendship - and I'm certain all the friendships she'll see her daughter has made - meant to her daughter.

Just like I could see how much those two boys wanted to stay and talk to each other. Sometimes it takes a pair of outside eyes to see the truth in various relationships and how close people are.

And it's precious to see a moment of unguarded feelings between two people. It's a human moment. And those moments and the ones to be cherished the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment