Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

A Child's Thoughts on a Playground

Eenie meenie miney moe

Catch a tiger by his toe

If he hollers, let him go

Eenie meenie miney moe

My mother told me 

To pick the very best one

And you are

Wait. No. Not him. I can't choose him. I like him. If I pick him, he'll never want to talk to me or play with me again, and how are we supposed to get married and have seven children if we never speak again? 

Not

Wait. I can't pick her, either. She's fun and cool and popular, and if we stay friends maybe I'll get more friends too. Look at her, smiling at me. I can't do that to her. 

NOT

Wait. I can't pick her. She's my best friend. We've played this game every day since kindergarten. But there isn't anyone else I can pick. I can't knock myself out. 

It. 

"You're out!"

"But it's not fair, she cheated! He's supposed to be out!"

"But it landed on you, you have to go leave."

"It's not fair! I want a rematch!"

"The rules say no."

"Fine!"

Don't cry. I'm sorry. But... I couldn't knock them out. You understand, right? 

"Come on. She's just being a whiny brat. She'll get over it. You're better off without her. Let's go play!"

"Um... okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment