Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"I hope your harp isn't jealous"

So I was in my costuming class, casually sewing a bonnet for the upcoming Huck Finn play, when I got a message from a friend of mine.

"How's your harp doing?"

This being the same wonderful friend that helped me build my harp, I was sort of confused and suspicious and wondering what she had going on in asking me this.

Mostly did she imply that I might be possibly ignoring my harp because I got a guitar as an early birthday present?

Which she was, when I replied that it was fine, and she replied that she hoped my harp wasn't getting jealous.

And I do see her point. At this point in my life, I sing, I play the piano, I play the harp, and now I play the guitar (I should add that I'm still not really good at those last two, so don't expect something fabulous, unlike with the piano and singing, which I have been doing for longer).

And I have been loving my guitar to death lately.

Which might be causing some undue jealousy in my harp. Actually, not completely undue jealously.

Confession: I have been ignoring my harp a little bit recently.

After it was finished, I would usually make an effort to play it a couple times a week, and if I didn't manage that, I would at least make sure it was tuned.

But then one Sunday (prime harp playing time) I was busy and I really didn't want to bother tuning it, because that is time consuming (not really but it feels like it) and I was tired. So I didn't, and then I kept not doing it for a couple weeks because it was finals time and I was busy and tired.

Then I went to Utah and got my guitar. I got very excited and immediately started playing it and learning it and shredding the tips of my fingers and such.

So then I get home, with an old, beat-up guitar, and my harp is sitting in my closet, radiating waves of disapproval. I kid you not.

"You haven't had the time to even tune me recently and then you go off for a week and come back with him???"

And yes, my guitar is a he. My harp is a she. They are both my babies, and apparently very jealous of each other, hence why I keep them in opposite corners of my room.

And after a few days I did get around to tuning and playing my harp again. I try to make sure I do give some both time (not necessarily equal time, but both of them do get time).

And the piano?

She always gets my time. She probably honestly gets more time then both of them combined because it's not like playing the piano gives me callouses or hurts or anything so I can pretty much keep going as long as I have songs to play. And I almost always have songs to play.

So if any of my children are going to get jealous of another, it should be my baby boy and girl getting jealous of their older sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment