Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What is the Point of Business Cards Again?

Yesterday, I was at work. (I know, it's wonderful. I only go there almost every day...) I had been assigned to work on the front counter, and so I was doing that. We were in the middle of one of our lunch rushes, when a rather tall haole man wearing an ENORMOUS camera walked towards my register. This was a really big camera. And a very nice one as well. At least, by my standards of telling how nice a camera is, which standards look something like this:

1) that is a phone. not a camera.

2) that is a very cheap, very small, disposable camera.

3) that is a digital camera, but still very small and looks like mine. which, while it is good, does not take super amazing professional pictures.

4) that is a big, very nice, expensive looking camera. I'm just guessing you take good pictures with that.

5) where is the rest of your camera crew? and the director and post-production team?

Those are my standards for cameras. This one was a 4. So, my thought was that he is a photo tourist. I remarked that he had a very nice camera. He agreed with me (so humble, that one) and then, after paying me for his food, he proceeded to hand me a business card.

And I was temporarily dumbfounded.

What was I supposed to do with this business card? Keep it? Use it? Make a blog post out of it? Accidentally lose it? Deliberately lose it?

I mean, I know the point of business cards is to advertise your business and get people to use you. And this was quite a nice business card. Look at it:

(you're welcome for the free advertising, dan!)

This guy apparently will do all sorts of photography for you. I think he covered all the bases. And he's pretty good at his job. 

But it just seemed so awkward to me. I express a slight feeling of admiration for his camera, and the next thing I know, I'm getting handed a business card. 

Maybe it's me. Maybe I just don't understand advertising. Maybe I'm just really shy and don't like talking to strangers. (wait. then how did I end up in the foodservice industry???) 

I mean, I'm pretty shameless about self-promoting myself to my friends. I nag them about this blog all the time. But have I ever done this to a stranger? No. I just shove this on the Internet, and if random strangers would like to look at it, hopefully I'll entertain them, and hopefully they like it and keep coming back for more. 

I think if I were to make a business card for my blog, it would look something like this:

yes, i did draw that all by myself. and color it too.

So, everyone reading this, if you feel so inclined, print out my business card. Hand it out awkwardly to strangers. Tell me your stories. Get me some more viewers. 

I'll be in my room, trying to figure out a way to convince my mother to let me set this business card on fire. 

1 comment:

  1. I like this post Carina. Great job, nice musings on business cards!

    ReplyDelete