Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

My Harp (Some Assembly Required)

So, I'm going to get a harp. 

Quite honestly, this is something I never really thought I would ever be saying in my entire life. 

I never thought I would be playing a harp, either. I mean, I play the piano and sing. I always thought if I were to learn another instrument, it would be something like a flute. Or a violin. Or a guitar. I'd still really like to learn how to play the guitar. I just don't have an actual guitar. 

Anyway, I'm getting a harp. Well, more like I'm building a harp. And I'm super excited.

My dear friend and second mother Miz Rebecca has several harps. She also happens to build them- for a price. They are quite lovely Irish harps. Both she and her daughter, Amber, play them. (Yes, this is the same Amber that happens to be my writing partner.) 

I was over at their house one day, and Amber was playing her harp. I was bored, so I asked her if I could play around with it for a little bit. So she showed me the basics of how to play it, and which strings were what notes, and I played around with it. 

And I was hooked. It was a lot of fun. Surprisingly, I managed to display some basic skills at playing the harp. It's not unlike playing the piano, you just pluck instead of press the keys. 

After several days of my coming over to their house for the only purpose of playing that harp, Miz Rebecca came up to me as I was leaving one day, and asked me if I wanted my own harp. 

Of course I did. We worked out a plan where I buy all the supplies and help build it. 

I just ordered the supplies online. Hopefully they'll arrive within the week. Once they've arrived, we get to start building it. 

I can't wait! You'll get updates (and pictures) as we get building it. 

1 comment:

  1. Love that feeling, knowing the materials are on their way. I'll be sure and pick up the rest of what we need when I go into town on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete