Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

McAnniversary

Today is exactly my one-year anniversary of my very first ever job- working at McDonalds.

This has been a very interesting job. With several interesting stories involved in almost every aspect of it.
While job hunting last summer, Mom suggested that I apply for McDonalds. This was a while into my search, and everything else I had applied for had either fallen through or was in the process of falling through. When I heard her suggestion, I believe I gave her a look of horror and said something approximating "NO."

To which I found myself the next afternoon filling out an application for McDonalds. Moms are good like that.

To my utter surprise (and slight trepidation) I got a call, and an interview scheduled.

The interview was easier than I thought it would be. Two managers interviewed me, and they managed to put me completely at ease. I started feeling slightly better about working at McDonalds, if I got the job. I would know at least two nice people. And, the way they put it, it wasn't really THAT bad to work at McDonalds.

After some waiting, I got another call. I had gotten the job. By then, I was facing a summer with no work and no money, something I wasn't looking forward to. So I was thrilled to get the job.
Other reactions were... interesting. My mother and immediate family was thrilled as well. My aunt was horrified, convinced I was going to get fat and was serving people food that would kill them. My friends found this as an opportunity to make fun of me and try to use me to get free food. My dad started playing "McDonalds Girl" a lot.

I started work. It was long, hard, hot work, at least at the beginning. Several hours of just working fries, making sure everyone had hot, fresh fries while beginning to learn other skills.

After about a week or so, I got to go to the front, and take orders and do all that stuff you see workers do. Take payment, fetch food. And also, always make sure I am busy. Or at least looking busy. The beginning of my learning people management skills, dealing with angry and dissatisfied customers. And also getting to help nice people. That always made my day.

After a while, I got to work in the drive thru. And it's my favorite place to work. Taking orders, cash, running... it's all super fun. Also fun is wearing a headset that allows me to not only talk to the customers, but also to anyone else wearing a headset. Fun group conversations occur that way.

I've learned a lot during my year here.

I've learned how to do 15 things at once, all while talking to two customers at the same time. (you try taking orders and doing cash all by yourself. it's a workout.)

Idiocy is boundless- there are no limits to the amount of stupidity the human race has, and I feel it is best expressed in a fast food environment. Not all the time, necessarily, but it's also on both sides of the counter. The only other forum for sheer obtuseness that can compete is the Internet.

It's the little things that make people happy.

People don't look at the menu before they order. They don't look at signs that say the bathroom is closed for cleaning, either. Both create just really awkward situations.

Being in a car must create the illusion of privacy- sorry, lady, we can hear you yelling at your children. We can also hear all your phone conversations. You have such juicy secrets, and now the whole store heard them. Well, everyone with a headset.

We do judge you based on what you order. And how you order it. And we also talk about you behind your back. Sometimes in front of you. Leave a good impression- we'll be a lot nicer and more helpful. Be rude or insulting- we'll turn you into a joke.

Tourists are the funniest people ever.

If you don't have a sense of humor, forget working here. You'll die.

Regular customers are the best.

I can work through some pretty intense pain- getting burned by a fresh hot french fry basket (I still have that scar. It's kind of cool.) and more recently, smacking my head on a metal cabinet. (Still have the lump on my head.)

Between me and my co-workers, I think we cover every possible nerddom ever. If I don't know something, almost guaranteed someone I work with will.

McDonalds treats their employees rather nicely. I mean, I even got a nice scholarship from them.

My co-workers are awesome. They are what made me love my job. They are what make me still love my job.

We do have a brand pride. Mention something about Burger King or some other place to us, and we'll just bristle up. I mean, clearly, we are the best.

We agree with almost every single complaint a customer has given us. We made your food wrong? Let us look- ooh, yeah we did. Let us fix that for you. Think the prices are insane? So do we- but there's nothing we can do about it. We know how you feel. We also get tired of incessant whining. Say your piece and be done.

You cannot sound good singing in the box. (Box is slang for the tiny little room we take orders and hand you your food in.)

You can ask for, and get, almost anything on your sandwich or whatever. If we have it, and you want it, and you ask for it, we'll give it to you. People get really creative sometimes.

There's a reason instructions exist.

"People skills" sometimes equals really good lying and acting.

We don't serve "um," "uh," "da kine," "and...," "you know," "whatever," "that thing in the picture," (do you know how many pictures you are looking at?)

Deciphering thick accents and cultural barriers is harder than you think.

I wouldn't trade what I've learned and all my experiences this past year for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment