Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Deliberately Vague Reference Revealed

So, a couple days ago I wrote a post detailing my rules of blogging and that I was upset with something that I would tell you about later.

It's later!

So I shall tell.

Last week had a big day for the UK, because it was Red Nose Day, which is the big day of fundraising for Comic Relief, wherein pretty much people just do really funny stuff for money which then goes to help with domestic abuse and violence in the UK and also to help children in Africa get vaccinations and stuff that they need so they don't die.

So Twitter was aflame with the tweets of British celebrities asking their loyal followers for to donate their money and they would love us forever, and all that wonderful jazz because we're nice people.

One in particular had made a rather heartfelt plea, but however only gave the url for the UK link. Since I'm an American, and I wanted to check out the website, I clicked on the tweet to see the replies of the fandom, because usually fandoms are helpful like that and providing each other with links and stuff for you know the international people.

Please bear in mind that this has been a highly emotional thing for me, where I've watched videos of people crying over this to dumping honey and feathers all over their body for this.

So, with my emotions running high, I started looking at the replies.

The top reply went something like this (censored for those of you with young children looking over your shoulder):

OMGGG I LOVE U SO MUCH JUST LET ME SUCK YOU D***.

Literally, in the most literal sense of the word, that was the freaking first comment. All caps and grammar lacking and all.

And I died. Metaphorically.

I just really couldn't-can't-understand. How on earth somebody could be so stupid and insensitive and just say something like that on a public forum, and especially in reply to that tweet. I just don't.

And I know this goes on all the time on the internet and especially celebrities have to put up with this all the time but it's still NOT OKAY.

EVER.

You just don't put up offers of sex or various sexual acts out there in public. There are just so many problems with that.

First off, you don't know that person. You are just a little blip on the internet that they may or may not ever see. You will more than likely never ever meet this particular celebrity/person/whatever YOU DON'T KNOW THEM. I don't know about you, but I was under the impression that usually offers of sex happened after at least a little time of getting to know each other and under mutual feelings. Not near-anonymously on the Internet. (Unless that's what you do for a living, but still).

Secondly, this sort of behaviour serves as a catalyst for slut-shaming and our warped rape culture. The person who posts such a comment gets slut-shamed by everyone else who sees it. And then on the off chance that something happens to her and she were to get raped (which would be horrible and terrible) I can see the stupid trolls saying that given her history of soliciting celebrities for sex on her twitter, clearly she was asking for it. WHICH ALSO ISN'T COOL.

And I'm writing that last paragraph and feeling like I'm contradicting myself. So I want to be very clear that I think that slut-shaming and our stupid warped rape culture and attitudes surrounding it are very very very wrong.

But however, not everyone thinks like me and my friends, and they do the slut-shaming and victim-blaming, and they don't realize how wrong it is. And tweets like that exacerbate and antagonize the trolls and they go after her.

I can appreciate being young and wanting a famously cute celebrity boy. Let's be real here. I am a fangirl of many fandoms.

But it's one thing to go on and on about that in private with your fellow fangirls, and quite another to put that out there in public.

Celebrities' lives suck. Let's also be real here again. I know they don't always suck, but they do at times suck, especially when they have to deal with people who hate them and overenthusiatic fangirls who attack them and then just everything. Anyone who spends time in the public eye has to deal with this, no matter how nice and understanding their fandom tries to be, there's always at least a few people who ruin it for everyone.

So... yeah. People on the Internet suck. Not most people, but some people do. So just please don't be one of those people who contribute to the suckiness and yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment