Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Blogging Rules

I only have two real rules when it comes to this blog.

1) Never blog when I'm angry.
2) Classy, not trashy.

There are good reasons for these rules, because 1) blogging when I'm angry means I'm angry. (Duh.) It means that whatever I want to blog about probably will be a really good rant and make no sense and I won't care because I'm angry. However, when it comes time to look upon that post in retrospect, there's a very good chance that I will regret some part of what I said. Also, waiting until I'm not so angry gives me a chance to be introspective and examine my feelings and why I'm mad and acting the way I do and why I feel this way about this thing that I'm angry about. Or the person I'm angry at, whichever it is.

Also, 2) because a) I do have standards and I intend to keep them and b) my audience also has standards and things. The key thing to remember about writing things, especially when you intend on sharing them publicly, is your audience. Also, that's just a good rule to live by always.

I tell you these things because now I'M GOING TO BREAK ALL MY RULES.

No, I kid. I will admit there are times I really want to break that first rule, but no.

No, yesterday, I had an unpleasant experience inside the twitterverse (nothing to terribly graphic or honestly horrible, but I found it offensive and insensitive and it got me really angry). It's been a little over 24 hours since it happened.

I'm not too terribly mad about it at the moment, but I have the nagging feeling that even if I don't get super angry again, I will get condescending. And that's just as ugly a face as anger. Plus, there are some feelings I want to explore here.

And I realize there is no way I can honestly write about this event without feeling some righteous anger, because it was that unpleasant. Not necessarily horrible, or terrible, it was just really unpleasant. Like a bad taste in your mouth, where you know you can deal with it, but you would just be a lot happier if you didn't have to or you could spit it out. Unpleasant.

And I don't know why, this particular case, at this particular time, upset me so much, when I've seen similar things happen before. I sort of have an idea, but yeah, not entirely sure.

So this is really just me telling you that I do have rules and that because of those rules you might have to wait for a little bit before you get a post exploring some facets of the internet and the way we communicate and my feelings about it.

Also to get a bearing on my feelings about it. But there you have it.

P.S.- Yes, I have a rule on anger and classiness, but not deliberately obscure references. So there. I promise I will tell you and I'm not doing it just to make you ask me. Just... brace yourself? I don't know. A blog post is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment