Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

A Short Story

I recently wrote a short story, mostly while I was putting off writing papers for class. Or reading things for class. Or practicing things for class. Or sleeping. Things like that. But only for like a day, because it is a short story.

Anyway, I've decided to present it in three parts, so here goes nothing.

Part 1


He looked at her.
She lay there, her dark auburn hair framing her pale face. Sighing, he sat down beside her. She didn’t even stir. Slowly, he wiped the tears that had formed in his eyes away.
“What’s the matter, James?” she asked, sitting up. James marveled at her. Somehow, she always knew when he was upset, even when he didn’t want to admit it.
“Nothing. Don’t worry about it.” He took her hand and squeezed it gently.
“How am I supposed to not worry about my husband?” she asked, resting her head on his shoulder.
At her words, James felt tears begin to prick his eyes again. He quickly turned his face away. He couldn’t bear the guilt that overwhelmed him. “Jessica…” His voice was choked. He felt her touch his arm, worried. “They want you back.” He felt her hand tighten around his arm.
“What?” James could hear the fear in her voice, tense, sharp.
“They’re claiming we kidnapped you, forced you to marry me.” James could feel his throat tighten even as he spoke. He turned to face her again. “They gave an ultimatum.”
“What is it?” she asked.
“They want you back… or me in your place.”
“No…” she whispered. “James, no!” Tears began to fall down her cheeks.
“I have to do this,” James whispered to her. “Our country can’t afford a war right now.”
“You can’t leave…” Jessica said. James felt his heart breaking as he watched her. “What would I do without you?”
“You’d survive,” he said, touching her cheek. “You’re not going back there.”
“James…”
“Don’t.” He took her face in his hands and kissed her mouth. “It’s done.”
Jessica sniffed, stifling her tears. “I really do love you, James.”
“I know,” he smoothed her hair down her back. “And I love you too.”
She kissed him then, her lips brushing his, somehow holding them together with a soft touch.
“Promise you’ll come back to me,” Jessica begged.
“You won’t be alone forever,” James promised. “I’ll find a way back.” He held her close to him, her slim frame fitting perfectly in his arms.
They eventually fell asleep like that, clinging to each other, and neither of them let go until the sun came up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment