Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

A Short Story: Part 3-The End

Part three of my short story. You can read Part 1 here and Part 2 here.


They fought the wave of soldiers that attacked them as they attempted to make their way to the throne room, where the main brunt of the attack was.
“There he is!” James heard a rough call among the enemy. “The man who escaped!” He saw Thomas, who had heard the call as well. His face was pale and worried, but he didn’t have time to think about that, for as soon as the call was heard, he was overwhelmed with all the soldiers attacking him, he was fighting for survival.
“James!” Thomas cried, trying to reach him.
Someone grabbed James from behind, and he gave a choked cry.
“I’m gonna slice you to pieces,” a harsh voice whispered in his ear. “Then you’ll be able to see your lovely wife. Did you like the work I did on her? No marks, no blood. But she’s dead all right.” James felt a blinding pain in his side. “Give her my regards.”
James felt the man let go of him, and he fell to his knees, pain washing over him. The man walked away from him, coming at Thomas from behind.
James gritted his teeth. “No…” Slowly he pulled himself up, crying out as his pain threatened to overwhelm him. Thomas turned.
“James!” His face was pale, and he pushed past everyone, rushing to his brother’s side.
“Thomas,” James whispered, sweat beading on his forehead. “It’s him, he’s the one who killed Jessica…” The man was getting closer. “Thomas…”
“What man? Who?” Thomas asked. “James… are you hurt?”
“Just like you will be,” the man said, grabbing Thomas.
“No!” James forced himself up, feeling adrenaline pumping through him. He might have gotten his wife. He might have hurt him. But there was no way he was going to let this man kill his little brother. He ripped Thomas out of the man’s grip, and then stabbed the man’s heart, killing him instantly. The man stood for a moment, bleeding, then collapsed.
“James!” Thomas grabbed his brother. He was pale. Thomas couldn’t see any blood, but he could tell James was hurt, severely. “We’ve got to get you out of here.”
James shook his head. “No, I’m not going to make it.”
“What are you talking about?” Thomas asked. “Of course you are.”
James shook his head again, his breathing ragged. “Go. Save yourself.”
“I’m not leaving you,” Thomas said, tears in his voice. “I lost you for five years. I lost Jessica. I’m not losing you again.”
“No, Thomas… It’s too late for me.” He grabbed his brother’s hand. “I’m sorry. For everything. Tell Father I wish…” he pause, gasping. “I wish this had all turned out differently.”
Tears streamed down Thomas’ cheeks. “Me too, brother.”
“Thomas?” he asked.
“What is it?”
“Do you think I’ll see Jessica?”
“Yes,” Thomas reassured him. “I’m sure you will.” James couldn’t see the pain on Thomas’ face as he spoke.
James smiled, his eyes distant. He squeezed his brother’s hand. “Then don’t let this be a goodbye, brother. I’ll see you again.”
Thomas was silent, holding his weakened brother in his arms.
“Remember not that I left, please,” James asked. “But remember that I came back.”
“For Jessica.” Thomas whispered.
James shook his head. “For my family.” He closed his eyes, and silently his breath left him.
Thomas continued to cry, then bent and kissed his brother’s forehead. “Goodbye, James.” He stood and carried him to the room where Jessica lay. He lay his still form next to hers, then stood and left.
If he had stayed and looked at them, Thomas might have noticed that if he looked closely enough, it looked as though James and Jessica were sleeping, finally together again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment