Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Short Story: Part 2

In lieu of keeping up with publishing these things when I'm supposed to be reading things for my International Law class, here is part 2 of my recently written short story. If you missed Part 1 (which I would recommend reading first, or again before you read this) you can find it here.

Here is part 2.


~5 years later~

James burst into the room, sword in hand. He saw Jessica’s still form, collapsed on the floor.
“No…” he moaned, dropping his sword and rushing to her side. He felt as if his world was collapsing inward. “Jessica, no, please…” He picked her up, smoothing her hair out of her face. She was so still.
“I didn’t find my way back to you for this,” James whispered, a lump in his throat.
Jessica remained unresponsive; her beautiful body limp in his arms. Tears slowly streamed down his face, and he kissed her cold cheek. Gently he set her down.
“James?” a voice came from the doorway behind him. He turned and found his little brother, Thomas, standing in the doorway.
“Thomas,” James’ voice choked up. He had grown up since James left. The little Tommy was now almost a man.
Thomas stepped inside. “James, what—“ his eyes flickered to Jessica’s still form, and he stiffened, paling. “What happened?” his voice was harsh, rough.
James fought back tears. “I was too late.”
“What did it?”
“I don’t know, I got here too late.”
“James. What killed Jessica?” Thomas’ face was dark.
“I don’t know!”
Thomas growled, punching the wall.
“I came in here, and she was collapsed on the floor, alone. She wasn’t breathing, and there wasn’t a pulse.” James paused, eyes narrowed. “You promised to protect her, Thomas. Where were you?”
“I was protecting her,” Thomas spat. “I was fighting the men who followed you here.”
James bowed his head.
“We were getting overwhelmed. We still are—and now they got what they want,” Thomas said, his jaw clenched. “You’re back and she’s dead.” He glared at his older brother, unshed tears glistening in his eyes.
James felt some measure of pity for Thomas. “Thomas…” he began, but was cut off.
“Why did you come back?” Thomas asked. “Why did you have to come back now?”
James stood up. “I made a promise, Thomas. I promised Jessica I would come back. For her.” His voice was dreadfully quiet.
“She’s dead, James! She’s dead because you couldn’t be bothered to be a little more careful while you were escaping!”
Anger boiled through James’ veins, and he quickly slapped his little brother across the face. “Don’t you dare speak like that to me. I was careful.” He glanced at Jessica. “Even I’m not perfect. I lost my wife.”
“You didn’t just lose a wife.” Tears stood in Thomas’ eyes. “I lost a sister. She’s all we’ve had for the past five years.” He turned away. “And now she’s gone.”
“Where are you going?” James asked. He was startled by how raw his voice sounded.
Thomas turned around to face him. “To go fight. We’re still being attacked.” He paused. “Are you coming?”
James hesitated.
“Staying here isn’t going to bring her back,” Thomas said softly. “But answers are out there.” He opened the door. “And I intend to find them.”
“Thomas!” James called.
Thomas stopped.
James put his hand on his brother’s shoulder. “Let’s go.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment