Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

What if Money Didn't Matter?

I recently watched a video online, asking its audience the question: what if money didn't matter?

It was a beautiful and lovely video, and the question does bear some thought.

What if money didn't matter?

What would you do if money didn't matter?

In that video, lots of people said that they would become artists, poets, do other artistic things, all of them beautiful. All of them not much for steady money in the earning department.

The video ends, telling the audience to go off and live your life like money doesn't matter, because you'll be doing what makes you happy, and that's the only way to live.

Because happiness can buy bread.

To counter that, money cannot buy happiness, no matter what you think it may cost.

I like to think that my actions in life have not been set by money or a lack thereof. My goals certainly haven't.

What if money didn't matter?

But money has no bearings on my desires in life.

I still want to graduate college. Yeah, that requires money to do so, but even if I didn't have any money that would still be a desire of mine. I like learning, I enjoy the process of gaining skills and putting them to good use.

I've changed my major from English to Political Science. You might say that has been monetarily manipulated, as I've got more career options with a PoliSci degree than an English degree, where all I wanted to do was write books. That's not why I changed. I changed because I like politics. I like watching it, and participating in it. I have a bigger chance of helping people with this degree than with an English degree. It expands my ability to make a difference.

I want to make a difference, and help people. I want to get involved in a worthy cause. Whether that cause is teaching my future children how to be good people, or helping a friend who's lonely, or putting a smile on someone's face because of something I've written on here. Even better, inspiring someone to do something good because of what I've written on here. I can't start a huge charity or donate huge chunks of my time to volunteer organizations. I don't have the time or the money. But I've learned in my lifetime that it's not the big things that count the most. It's the little things that we can all do, and money doesn't play any part in that.

My dearest wish of all... I wish to get married and have children and create my own little family. Money has nothing at all to do with that.

Money does matter. We need it to survive, to feed ourselves and our families and put roofs over our heads and all those good things we need.

But even then, money, or a lack thereof, does not give one happiness.

Even doing what you love does not bring you total happiness.

What brings us happiness is something else entirely.

We're happy when we're working. When we accomplish goals. When we help people.

We're happy when we're with those we love. When we're part of a community that accepts us and allows us to grow and become better people.

We're happiest when we're left a little wanting. When we need to stretch just a little higher to get what we want. When we have a goal to reach for.

We're happy when our needs are met, and we're healthy and safe.

We're happy when we're creating something. When we look at something and see what no one else does.

We're happy when we feel the touch of grass on our toes, cool water pouring over our feet, or see a brilliant sunset. When we see nature.

We're happiest when we love and are loved. When those we care for the most are happy.

Money is a means to an end. It shouldn't have any bearings on our desires or whether or not we act on them.

Do something good, something to make someone happy. Everything will work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment