Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What a Child Would Do for Her Country

Let's time travel for a moment here.

Back a few weeks. The election of  2012 was almost upon us. (We won't stay here long, I promise. I wouldn't want to stay there for an extended period of time ever again.)

I come home from my history class. I'm in the kitchen, playing with stuff. Mom's in there too.

"Carina, look at this." She hands me a piece of paper with my little sister Annie's untidy but somehow still legible scrawl scattered across it. (I shouldn't talk. It's the same handwriting I had when I was her age.) "You're gonna love it."

I read it. I loved it. I have never been so proud of my little sister as in this moment.

It was an assignment that had been given to the children at the local elementary school, to write a paper on what they would do if they were president. I had only read the rough draft, it still needed some subject-verb agreement and punctuation help and spelling fixes, but her ideas rang loud and clear.

In fact, so loud and clear I suspected possible parental involvement. Mom reassured me, "The teachers stated quite clearly that parents were NOT to help with this assignment. All we can do is help with spelling and grammer and such. They still have to write it themselves."

I didn't think it was possible, but I was that much more proud of my little sister. She came up with these wonderful ideas on her own.

I wanted to post this immediately, but like I said, it was a rough draft. It was also for a contest at school, and I didn't want to get my little sister in trouble by possibly influencing some of the teachers or judges (those who might read my blog).

So I decided to wait till it was over. Annie didn't win, but she might have gotten third place. (or she might have gotten nothing. I honestly don't know if mom told me or I'm just imagining things). Our neighbor, and Annie's friend, got first place, and I offer my hearty congratulations.

So, now it's over, and you've read through all of this patiently, so I shall write her letter presently and you can all read it.

*******************

If I were the President of the United States, I would want more schools to be improved. When more schools are improved, more people would learn things in school. Instead of started at 8:00 am, I think we should start school at 8:30 am, and end school at 2:30, so people will have more time to get ready for school. That way the kids would not be tired and would pay attention more. In elementary school, people should be able to choose what they want to learn. That way they would be interested in learning since they had chosen the subject.

If I were President of the United States, I would give homes to the homeless. When more homes are being built, more people will live happier lives. Instead of giving the fancy homes to the rich people, I would give them to the poor and homeless, so more people will have good houses. When people are buying houses, people should be able to buy it at a reasonable price. That way people can live in an affordable house.

If I were the President of the United States, I would have more people saving energy. I would recommend that people bike or walk to work and shopping to save money and energy. I would have people plant more trees in their yard to help provide shade. Trees are good for our environment. I would also recommend that factories don't pollute our air. That way we can have clean air to breath.

If I was the President of the United States, I would improve schools, give homes to the homeless, and work on the environment. I think that all these things are important for the President of the Unites States of America to do.

********************

This just kinda sorta makes me really super happy.

1 comment: