Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

The "Look" Challenge

This is a little game I discovered while I was blog-stalking the other day. While technically, I didn't get tagged in it, it still looked like fun, so I decided to try it out.

The game is, to take the current manuscript you are working on, find the first instance of the word "look" and use the surrounding paragraphs as a book excerpt on your blog.

So, I went and looked at my manuscript, and discovered that "look" is actually the fourth word in my manuscript. (Technically, "looked" but it's still the same word.) This is very clearly the first chapter in the story Amber and I are writing.

Enjoy.

~


Director Mendez calmly looked at the irate young woman standing before him.
            “This is idiocy!” she exploded. “I’m the perfect candidate for this program, and you know it!” She flung the unsigned application on the desk before him. “Why did you reject me?”
“Because you’re too young,” Director Mendez said. “You don’t have the experience we need, and-“
“Because every time you look at me, you see Mamá,” the girl finished bitterly.
“Andrea,” he said, his tone stern. “That’s below you.”
“It may be below me, Padre, but it’s the truth.” Andrea said.
Director Mendez sighed.
“Papá,” Andrea pleaded. “Yo no soy mi madre. Soy mi.”
“Lo sé, hija,” he said, taking his daughter’s hand. “I know.”
She moved the application towards him. “Then sign it.”
Director Mendez hesitated. “Hija…”
“Papá,” Andrea touched his cheek. “This is my country. These are my people. Trust me.” She smiled at her father. “It’s in my blood.”
Director Mendez picked up a pen and signed the paper. “Te amo, Andrea,” he said. “Make me proud.”

No comments:

Post a Comment