Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

2112

Today is 12/21/12.

I'm sure you've heard that several times today on all your social networking sites. The world hasn't ended, and we're all well and happy. Well, we'd all like to be well and happy, but we're not dying in a blaze of fiery death. I guess that counts for something.

Anyway, for fans of the band Rush, today is something else entirely.

It's a day we get to celebrate the wonder that is the song 2112.

2112. A lyrical and musical wonder created by Neil Peart, Geddy Lee, and Alex Lifeson.

I remember the first time I listened to 2112. I'm sure I'd heard it before then, but this was the first time I listened to it.

My father was driving me to an orthodontist appointment in Alabama. It took a goodly while, being the next state over, but I've always enjoyed going on long drives. Anyway, we were driving, and we were listening to Rush music, as is our wont when my mother isn't in the car. Dad put in the 2112 CD, and I listened to it.

It was somewhat of a difficult listen, as the song is 20 minutes long and the instrumental to voice ratio is rather heavy on the instrumental, which was not quite to my liking a couple years ago. But in the third section, titled "Discovery", I found myself with a wonder quite new to my ears.

I was used to hearing Geddy singing high notes, with always a touch of screech to them, and the instrumental, my entire life. (Honestly, I think the man can sing higher than I can. But I digress.)

Then, suddenly, in that section... it changed. The music changed. It became more gentle, flowing. Playful, new, hopeful. It caught my attention. The guitar was handled with delicate care, and I felt it.

Then Geddy started singing.

These are the lyrics for that section.

[not sung] "... Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I found it. I brushed away the dust of years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful...
I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and the turn the keys to make them sound differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds and soon my own music! How different could it be from the music of the Temples! I can't wait to tell the priests about it..."

[sung]
What can this strange device be?
I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I've found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night

And with that, I was sucked into the story. I listened with horror as the man went before the priests, and was most terribly rejected. The words cut me to the very core.

I know it's most unusual
To come before you so
But I've found an ancient miracle
I thought that you should know
Listen to my music
And hear what it can do
There's something here that's as strong as life
I know that it will reach you

Yes, we know, it's nothing new
It's just a waste of time
We have no need for ancient ways
The world is doing fine
Another toy will help destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the plan

I can't believe you're saying
These things just can't be true
Our world could use this beauty
Just think what we might do
Listen to my music
Hear what it can do
There's something here as strong as life
I know that it will reach you

Don't annoy us further!
We have our work to do
Just think about the average
What use have they for you?
Another toy will help destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the plan!

Listening to those heartfelt pleas, I wanted to cry out, "I feel them, I feel it! It reaches me, I know it, this thing, this music you make is most surely beautiful!"
But those nasty, controlling, power-hungry priests couldn't relinquish control, not even to enjoy one moment of simple beauty.

The song continues, ending sadly as the man gets depressed as he realizes the dystopia he lives in, dies, and then even that dystopia is destroyed and taken over by that elder race of man the priests were ravaging against.

But those words.... listen to my music. Hear what it can do. There's something here as strong as life, I know that it will reach you.

Listen. It's strong as, strong as life. I know it will reach you.

Read the words I write. See what they can do. There's something there as strong as life, I know that it will reach you.

Look at the art I create. See what it can do. There's something there, strong as life, I know that it will reach you.

Look. Read. Listen, listen, don't you see? I've created something, something beautiful, something that can help the world. I know it can, I know it can reach you. I want to share it with you, come look. Think of all the good that can be done with this, it's beautiful and lovely. Don't you feel it?

It's a waste of time? Yo-you're fine without it? It... this... doesn't fit your plan? You... you don't want to see what I've created? But... but... there's no use for me, no use for what I've done? My work, this beauty, my art... a silly whim?

This music, this video, this painting, this writing, all this, all this.... is of no use to you? But... don't you feel it? Can't you see, don't you hear, are you even human? Can you not recognize what I do? Don't you feel it? I feel it, I see it, I live in a world surrounded by it and it amazes me. I've put my heart and soul into this... can you not feel that? I know it can reach you, I know it can, it must!

I... I can't believe you're saying... those things... they can't be true. Our world could use this beauty! Just think... think what we might do! Listen, listen to my music.

Read, read my words.

See what they can do.

There's something here... it's as strong as life...

I know that it will reach you.

Just... just... let it in.

Look a little differently. It's not hard. It's there.

See how it sings, like a sad heart. Joyously, screaming out its pain. Sounds, words, colors, that build high, like a mountain. Or notes, letters, strokes, that fall, gently, like rain.

I can't wait to share this wonder. The people will all see its light. Let them all make their own music! Let them all write their own stories! Let them all create their own art!

There's something here that's as strong as life.

I know that it will reach you.

No comments:

Post a Comment