Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

#poweroutagesaga

So, earlier this week I, and most other people, got an ominous email from my school saying there is this thing they have to do every year (or every other year, I forget) that involves taking all the power over all of campus and shutting it down so they can do some stuff. Oh, and also that it hadn't been done in the past 35 years.

However, with wanting their new buildings to get safety approval, this must be done. So they set the date for midnight Sunday morning still around 5 pm, no one would have power, except for those places that would have generators for protecting food and such.

This is the saga of what happened today. My morning started out just fine, getting ready to go to church with just sunlight to guide me.


Okay, maybe not so fine. It was first thing in the morning, I think I can forgive myself for not realizing that it takes electricity to toast bread. At least I knew better than to use the stove. My morning continued. 
Me, noting on things it would be nice to have. Little did I know...
For whatever reason, the school hadn't actually turned off their wifi, although I should point out that the school's wifi to my house sucks and it didn't really mean I could do anything, so I remained on my phone most of the time. 
I continued getting ready for church, feeling confident enough in myself to invest in a selfie:
I got complimented on that outfit. Elegant. Made my day. Anyway, after that, I went to church and then there was a worldwide training meeting that I attended with my father and brother, which had it's own drama: 
So we missed a good ten minutes of that while they struggled to get the communication back online. 
Then I came home, ready for some rest, a nap, and hopefully not long waiting until the power came back on. The novelty was slowly beginning to wear off. 
So confident was I that the power would arrive soonish around the time that they advertised, that I invested my meager laptop battery power to our entertainment. Little did I know. 
Still I had no fear. After enjoying the movie and wishing for maybe the millionth time that Starfleet actually existed, we ate dinner. Cleaned up (washing dishes in cold water isn't fun) (or very hygenic feeling) and went outside, where I jammed on my guitar for a bit before we all headed up for a walk. The power still wasn't back, and it was well past 5 pm. I was starting to fear that the power wouldn't come back on before night hit. 
I was very irritated. The power was gone, I had a headache from the fumes from the generators parked just outside, my batteries were all dying, and I couldn't charge them like I had planned BECAUSE THERE WAS NO POWER, and I couldn't really sit down and try reading to relax because the light was quickly going. I even asked for a candle for my room, so I could have light, but then I was bitterly reminded of the fact that open flames aren't allowed. Oops. 
So I sat in my room, sulking, trying to finish my book before the light completely went, when I heard whooping from the other houses. And it was... joyful, something I hadn't felt in the past few hours since I finished watching Star Trek. Hope surged through my veins, as I turned to look out my open window. Indeed, my neighbors' lights were on, and I quickly went and turned on my own. Glorious light filled the room, and I screamed and shrieked, joining the cacophony with my neighbors, all my tension released with electricity returned to my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment