Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Hobo Adventures: A Hobo Walks Down An Alley


Hobo Joe stumbled as he stepped up on the curb, and looked down to see what had made him trip. Nothing was there but a white glove stained with blood.
Hobo Joe dismissed it. He wasn’t in the best part of town, and anything could have caused the bloodstain on the glove. If it was even a bloodstain. It could have been Kool-Aid. Or melted Jello. Or really red dirt. He shrugged, and continued on his merry walk towards his dumpster, where his cat was waiting for him.
“Hey, Hobo Joe!” Hobo Poe called out to him. “I got you some chicken!” A chicken dashed out of a trash can, running into an alley and disappearing.
“Looks like the chicken was to go,” Hobo Joe said, cracking a smile. It was his favorite joke, and he used it every single chance he got. 
“Sorry, Joe,” Hobo Poe said. “I’ll get back there and fetch the chicken again.”
“Nah, I got it,” Hobo Joe said. He followed the chicken back into the alley, where he was startled to find not a chicken, but two tall men blocking his way.
“Excuse me, mister,” one of the men said. “Could you tell me if this smells like chloroform?” He held up a rag.
“Well, I would be mighty glad to help you out, but I’m afraid I don’t know what chloroform smells like,” Hobo Joe replied politely.
“Trust me,” the other man said. “You’ll know.”
Hobo Joe shrugged. It looked like the chicken was long gone. “Might as well give it a try.” He leaned over and sniffed the rag. 

1 comment: